Private Pilot - High Altitude Maneuvers
· All maneuvers begin with two 90 degree clearing turns.
· Maneuvers should be performed at 1500 ft. AGL minimum.
Minimum Controllable Airspeed (slow flight)
1. Carb. heat – on.
2. Power - bottom or the green arc on the tachometer.
3. Airspeed below 110 kts. - 10 degrees flaps.
4. Airspeed below 85 kts. - 20 degrees flaps (adjust for changes), 30 degrees flaps (adjust for changes), 40 degree's flaps if available.
5. Maintain attitude throughout the entire maneuvers.
6. Maintain airspeed: example 45 kts., by using power to control altitude and pitch to control airspeed.
7. Carb. heat off when power is in the green on the tachometer.
1. Full power.
2. Flaps to 20 degrees.
3. Accelerate to 60 Kats. - flaps to 10 degrees.
4. Accelerate to 65 kts. - flaps to 0 degrees.
5. Back to cruise power setting.
Approach or Power - off stall.
Repeat steps 1 - 4 as shown for MCA above.
5. Reduce power to idle slowly.
6. Pull smooth consistent back pressure on yoke until stall occurs. (maintain heading and wings level)
1. Release back pressure until horizon is in sight and simultaneously apply full power.
2. Carb. heat off.
3. After reaching a safe airspeed (50-55 knots) raise nose to establish a climb.
4. Flaps up to 20 degrees.
5. Maintain new altitude.
6. Accelerate to 60 kts. - flaps to 10 degrees.
7. Accelerate to 65 kts. - flaps to 0 degrees.
8. Back to cruise power setting.
Departure or Power-on stall
1. Carb. heat on.
2. Power 1600 RPM.
1. Maintain altitude and slow to 70 kts.
4. Apply full power.
5. Carb. heat in.
6. Pitch for climb.
7, Apply consistent back pressure on the yoke and climb to reduce airspeed until stall occurs. (maintain heading and wings level)
1. Release back pressure until horizon is in sight.
2. After reaching a safe airspeed (50-55Knots)raise nose to establish a climb.
3. After stopping the descent, maintain new altitude.
4. Back to cruise power setting.
Emergency Procedures (remember S P E L L) *Carb. heat on is First priority.
1. S - Speed - reduce to best glide speed of 65 knots.
2. P - Place - find a place to land.
3. E - Engine - check out why the engine died and try a restart.
a. Fuel on both tanks
b. Mixture full rich
c. Throttle 1/8 inch open
d. Mags on
c. Primer in and locked
4. L - Location - Make a radio call on 121.5 and give your location.
5. LAND THE AIRPLANE! - You only have one chance to do it right.